As the world’s fifth largest economy, India is a major exporter of goods and services. Air freight is the quickest (albeit expensive) option to export items from India, followed by sea freight (for bulky cargo) and road freight where applicable. Compared to simpler domestic shipping norms, the international logistics cycle entails global warehousing and inventory management, documentation, transportation, customs clearance, localisation, and customer service. Apart from obtaining your unique Importer-Exporter Code (IEC) from the DGFT (Directorate General of Foreign Trade), exporters from India require a Commercial Invoice, Bill of Landing, and Certificate of Origin. Likewise, the destination countries’ import regulations and customs procedures need to be researched and understood in-depth.
Tips to Manage Shipping and Logistics to Export Items from India
- Choose the Right Shipping Method– Depending on the product size, category/type, specifications, transit time/urgency, and destination country, the apt shipping route and method have to be chosen. If you are unsure of the best shipping methods as a first-time seller from India, you can go through eBay’s exhaustive seller resources for the right shipping guidance.
- Comply with the Prescribed Packing and Labelling Standards– To export items from India, you require a durable exterior packaging material with a soft cushioning layer inside. Rigour-based factors like vibration, air pressure, temperature, moisture, and compression are much higher in international transit routes. The labelling should comply with the customs and linguistic standards of the destination country.
- Ensure Complete Documentation for Transit and Customs Clearance– In global sales, the most effective way to increase sales online is to exemplify every customer’s experience and amass buyer loyalty. Your shipments should reach buyers within the promised delivery time to achieve this. Following the customs procedures diligently and ensuring watertight paperwork is crucial so your packages are not delayed because of non-compliance.
- Implement Best Practices for Inventory Management- As your online export business grows, you will need to stock your inventory in warehouses across the globe. Thereon, inventory management will entail global and regional demand forecasting, adequate replenishment, and the regular monitoring of stock levels to prevent overstocking or under stocking.
- Receive and Provide End-to-End Tracking Services– Your cross-border shipping vendor should provide automated shipping updates with complete shipping labels and summary reports. You can provide your buyers with end-to-end tracking services for a positive experience.
- Onboard eBay Global Shipping (EGS) as a Single-Window Route– The easiest way for an online seller from India to navigate the complex realm of cross-border shipping and logistics is to get on board with eBay Global Shipping. Instead of negotiating with vendors and building a system from scratch, you simply need to register, create your account apply for an LSP (Logistic Service Provider), book your shipment, and finally choose the vendor as per your budget and specifications.
- Liaise with a Credible Vendor for Cross-Border Shipping Insurance– International shipping and logistics management for online sellers is incomplete without getting holistic international shipping insurance. It will protect your shipments from damage, theft, and other losses during the long transit routes.
- Increase Sales Online with Free Shipping– Being an online seller from India, you should know that the search algorithms of all major global selling platforms prioritise sellers who provide free shipping. It will boost the visibility of your product listings to prospective international buyers.
Apart from the de-bureaucratisation of several procedures, online application convenience, and governmental incentives for exporters, global eCommerce platforms like eBay have made it extremely convenient for online sellers to market and sell their products to international buyers. With efficient shipping and logistics being the most important parameter for a successful export business, opting for a single-window shipment solution supported by credible logistic service providers is far more convenient than open-market negotiations. Registering with the right online selling platform will ensure you benefit from their seller-protection policies, wide distribution networks, competitive shipping prices, and dedicated logistical support.
Read Also – The best online Dissertation Service